Gas prices are soaring and President Joe Biden has been given a fresh set of ideas to fix the problem.
“Today, the People’s House should have also taken unified action on the American Energy Independence from Russia Act to send a clear message that President Biden has the ability to unleash American oil and natural gas,” said Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wash. “He shouldn’t be asking foreign murderous dictators and authoritarian regimes for more oil to bail us out. Unfortunately, Democrats again blocked this bill so they can continue to shift the blame onto Putin for how their radical anti-American energy agenda is raising gas prices on the American people.”
CMR gave a list of potential ways to address the energy crisis in America, pointing out that the American Energy Independence from Russia Act would do the following:
- Immediately approves the Keystone XL pipeline
- Removes all restrictions on liquified natural gas (LNG) exports
- Restarts oil and gas leasing on federal lands and waters – which was halted by the Biden administration
- Protects American energy and mineral development from attacks by the Biden administration
- Requires Biden to submit an energy security plan within 30 days and requires the Secretary of Energy to develop a plan to replace oil drawn down from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve
The Russian invasion of Ukraine have further raised concerns about U.S. dependence on foreign sources of oil. The European NATO nations have been unwilling to ban Russian oil because they need the resource to keep their economies going.
“America shouldn’t be reliant on a single barrel of oil from Russia,” CMR said. “That’s why I support sanctions and banning Russian energy imports to shut down Vladimir Putin’s war chest. I’ve been very clear that any bill to ban imports that doesn’t flip the switch on American energy is incomplete. There’s more work to do. America must lead by boosting our energy production to replace Russian oil. It is vital to help our allies in Europe, protect our economy, lower gas prices, and stabilize global markets. As long as President Biden and Congressional Democrats ignore this important piece, they will continue to own the increased prices Americans will keep facing at the pump.”